Sir Joseph Whitworth (BART)

(Page.3)  - Click to go to Page4 . or to return to Page.2 or the Home page.

A potted History of Openshaw Technical College
by Arthur Brown


1944


Section 41 of the 1944 Education Act required Local Authorities to provide adequate further education facilities for their areas.


1945


A rapid increase in the demand for further education after the war caused the student population to increase rapidly. Rooms in both the Crossley Lads' Club and the Whitworth Institute were again required. This situation continued for many years.


1954


Work commenced on Phase.1 of the new College buildings, part of the main teaching block and part of the workshop block. Phase.2 saw the completion of these areas.

"Click photo to see a staff list of 1954"

1968/69

First Industrial training Board courses. Four courses comprising 135 students



1969

Phase.3 of the development was completed, a new staff accommodation and teaching block.

Click to go to Page.4